Special Part-Time Program for 11th -12th Grade Students
Admission and Registration Procedure
11th or 12th Grade Students interested in attending Golden West College must submit a completed Admissions Application ON-LINE as well as submit a completed Special Part-Time Permission Form [PDF] to the Admissions Office. Please read ALL the information listed below before you start the process of applying to Golden West College.
California Education Code
In accordance with California Education Code Section 48800, 48800.5, and 76001, kindergarten through grade 12 students (K-12) may be eligible to enroll in courses at Golden West College for advanced-level study in instructional or vocational areas not available at their school. The school and the college will determine who may enroll based on their judgment of the applicant’s ability to profit from instruction. The college has the right and responsibility to restrict enrollment for reasons of health and safety, appropriateness of the course, preparedness of the student, college policy, state law and space availability. Note: In accordance with SB338, enrollment in physical education courses have been restricted or excluded.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Under this Act, students attending an institution of higher learning become an adult when it comes to their educational records at that institution. It is the policy of the Coast Community College District, in accordance with FERPA, to not release/discuss a student’s records without the signed release from the student authorizing the release of that information to anyone except the student.
Important Information for the 11th -12th Grade Student
- Students wanting to take Math or English must take the placement test which is offered in our Assessment Center (714-895-8388). You must apply and receive a Student ID# before making an appointment.
- All Classes at Golden West College are college level courses - The student will be treated as such
- Students CANNOT displace a college level student
- Students are NOT allowed on waitlists
- Students may not take a course-load exceeding 6 units per semester
- If the student is home schooled, he/she must provide verification that the home school program is recognized and approved by the county department of education and provide verification that the student is able to succeed in college level classes.
Students enrolled in the 11th or 12th grade may enroll in courses at Golden West College if they meet the following criteria:
- The student must be at least minimum day student at his/her school (not applicable for summer classes).
- The course(s) requested is an advanced academic or vocational experience and not available at the student’s regular school. (PE courses are restricted.)
- The student meets the prerequisite for the course requested.
- The student has the permission of his/her parent.
- The student has the permission of his/her high school principal or designee with a recommendation of the specific course or courses to be taken.
Registration - Upon receiving all approvals and criteria listed above, the student will be allowed to register via MyGWC on or after his/her assigned appointment time provided space is available in the course. In most cases students will need to attend the first class meeting to get approval from the instructor.
Please feel free to contact the office of Student Enrollment Services at 714-895-8121 during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm) with any other questions.