Residency: Non-California Residents
The following conditions are applicable regarding nonresident fees:
Students who are not residents of California as of the day immediately preceding the first day of the semester or summer session are required to pay the per unit enrollment fee, the nonresident per unit tuition fee, and a per unit capital outlay fee. Please click on the Tuition and Fees link located in the menu on the left hand side of this page to be directed to the fees page for the amounts.
- Active military personnel are exempt from nonresident tuition fees provided they are in California for a purpose other than attending a state supported institution of higher education.
- Dependents of active military personnel are granted a one-year exemption from paying the nonresident tuition fee. The one-year period begins on the date the dependent enters California. After the exemption period has ended, dependents will be charged nonresident tuition unless they have met the residency intent and durational requirements for a one-year period prior to the residency determination date.
- Minors (under 18 years of age and not married) will be required to pay the nonresident tuition if their parents or legal guardians reside outside the state even though such minors may have lived in California for one year or more.
- Students who are financially dependent on their parents or legal guardians will be required to pay nonresident tuition if their parents or legal guardians reside outside the state even though such students may have lived in California for one year or more.
- Alien students holding visas which preclude them from establishing residency in California may be restricted in their enrollment at Golden West College and will have to pay the per unit enrollment fee, the nonresident per unit tuition fee, and a per unit capital outlay fee. Please click on the Tuition and Fees link located in the menu on the left hand side of this page to be directed to the fees page for the amounts.
- In accordance with Education Code 68130.5 (AB 540), other than nonimmigrant aliens, students who meet all of the following requirements are exempt from paying the nonresident tuition fees.
- Attendance in a California high school for three or more years.
- Graduation from a California high school or attainment of the equivalent prior to the start of the term.
- Students without lawful immigration status must have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file for lawful status as soon as they are eligible to do so. The student is required to submit an affidavit with the college admissions application to verify that the student has met all conditions described above.
Note: Students who are nonimmigrant aliens (e.g., F series student visas or B series visitor visas) are not eligible for this AB 540 exemption unless they have applied to INS for a change of status to other than nonimmigrant status and meet all other requirements for the exemption.