Frequently Asked Questions
Am I required to take the placement tests?
Yes. Students must take the English or English as a Second Language (ESL), and math placement tests to receive priority registration.
Who is exempt from Assessment Testing? Can I use AP or EAP results from High School?
(All eligible exemptions must be turned into GWC)
Possible exemptions from the placement test:
- Students who have taken a placement test at a California Community College (including GWC) within the last two years for placement in math and/or English. ESL scores from other colleges are not accepted.
- Students who have received a score of "3" or above on an AP math and/or AP English exam.
- Students who have successfully completed the prerequisite at another college and can submit official or unofficial transcripts to prove a final grade of C or better of the prerequisite course(s).
- High school students who an Early Assessment Program (EAP) score of "Standard Exceeded" status for English and/or math.
What is the importance of the Assessment?
Though this is not a "pass" or "fail" test, it determines what classes you start college with. Thus, it is very important to be prepared prior to testing. Please see our sample tests to prep.
How long does the test take?
The test sessions are 2.5-3 hours long. Test results will be given to you immediately after you complete your test.
Where do I park and what is the cost?
We are located on the First Floor of Business, Room 109. On the campus map, we are next to Lot F. Permits cost $3.00 for the day.
DO NOT park in metered parking if you are taking both math and English tests. Metered parking is good for 2 hours at a time. Your test session will most likely be longer than 2 hours.
What do I need on test day?
Please bring A photo ID (license, school ID, or passport). No calculators are allowed.
What is the re-test policy?
The 1st re-test is possible 1 week after your original English, ESL, or Math test date.
The 2nd re-test is possible under the following rules:
- For English: 1 year after 1st re-test date.
- For ESL: 6 months after 1st re-test date.
- For Math: 6 months after 1st re-test date, OR, any time after 1st re-test date with documentation of a remedial/prep program such as GWC’s Jumpstart.
How can I challenge a placement result?
The challenge process depends on the course you are trying to enter. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 714-892-7711 ext 51080.
What if I completed coursework at another college or university?
If you have a college degree, you are exempt from placement testing. However, if you plan to enroll in any English or math courses, you must bring a transcript to Enrollment showing that you have met the prerequisite for the courses.
When and where can I get my placement test results?
Test results are available immediately following your test session. They will also be in your MyGWC Account.
What if I lose my test results?
A copy of your test results is available in the Assessment Center. Please bring picture identification.
Can the Placement test results be transferred to other community colleges or 4-year universities?
Golden West College accepts English and/or math placement test results from any accredited college, provided that the test has been taken within the past two (2) years from an accredited institution.
Please check the policies of other institutions regarding transferring test results as they may vary.