Cosmetology Program Overview
Golden West College offers a license program in Cosmetology. This program has been in existence at Golden West College for over 40 years, and the program’s reputation is highly recognized in the salon industry throughout Southern California. The program is designed to develop the knowledge, skills and techniques necessary to prepare for the state licensure examination and successful initial employment. Golden West College Cosmetology students maintain a high pass/fail ratio for state licensing test. Students who achieve a “C” grade or better for the entire program can receive a Certificate of Specialization in Cosmetology.
Cosmetology is a 1600-hour program, consisting of five sessions and takes approximately one year to complete. The program offers full time day classes only, Monday through Friday – 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. New sessions begin in August, October, January, March, and May. To begin, you are required to register for COSM G021 (Cosmetology, Level I, 11 units).
Forty six (46) units are earned with completion of the five sessions of Cosmetology. You may begin your training at any of the sessions, but you must complete all of them consecutively. Enrollment in the pro-gram requires continuous attendance for the total number of program hours to become eligible for the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology examination.
To register for the program submit an Admissions Application to Golden West College (on-line at www.goldenwestcollege.edu). After your application is processed you will receive registration information via email. NOTE: Cosmetology courses begin two weeks earlier than regular classes. Check the current semester schedule for term start dates. If the class is full, you can come to class on the first day to petition for enrollment. Vacant seats are filled by a lottery-type system. There is no waiting list. If an enrolled student is not present at 8:00 am on the first day when roll is called they will be dropped from the class and the seat will be given to a petitioner (no exceptions). Enrolled students will be required to purchase the Cosmetology Kit on the first day of instruction. This kit has all the tools and textbooks required for the entire program.
For students having difficulty enrolling in the program, we recommend that you take other classes at Golden West College. This will provide you with “continuing student” status and you will receive an earlier registration appointment over new students.
We do not accept cosmetology students who have accumulated more than 450 hours of previous cosme-tology training from a Board of Barbering and Cosmetology approved school. Students using previous transfer hours will enroll COSM G021 (Level I), and transfer hours will be added onto the end of the program. Transfer students will be required to purchase the Cosmetology Kit made available on the first day of class. Students with transfer hours will not be able to pre-apply for State Board Licensure Exam.
EXPENSES (these expenses are subject to change and in some instances are approximate):
- Tuition - $46 per unit for California residents. International and out-of-state students need to check with Admissions and Records for tuition expenses.
- Kit – Cosmetology kit and textbooks price range is $2,400.00 to $2,800.00. Kits and textbooks are not available until student’s enrollment has been verified by the instructor on the first day of class. Students will be sent the Golden West College Bookstore to purchase their kit. You must purchase a kit and textbooks in order to participate in the program. Once the kit has been opened it is considered used and no refund will be made if student chooses to drop out of the program. The textbooks are a part of the kit, and include textbook bundle and State Board materials. Payment can be made by cash or credit card.
- Uniform – approximately $100.00 to $150.00. Uniform information and requirements will be discussed on the first day of instruction. You will be expected to have uniforms by the end of the first week of class.
- Parking Permit – $30.00 per semester, $15.00 for summer session.
- Health Fee and College Services Charge – approximately $31.00 per semester.
- State Board Exam Kit – $265.00 (approximately). Students will be required to purchase the exam kit for their Board of Barbering and Cosmetology licensing exam upon successful completion of the Cosmetology Program.
- State Board Examination and Initial License Fee – $134.00 (includes $9.00 pre-application fee). Students in good standing will have the opportunity to pre-apply for state exam and license when they have completed 1,200 hours. Students who do not pre-apply will submit application to the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology upon completion of the 1,600 hours ($125.00).
Financial aid is available for Cosmetology students. Please refer to the “Student Success Services” section of your schedule for information on financial aid, Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS), Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), and Re-Entry/Cal WORKs. You can also find this information at www.goldenwestcollege.edu.
Thank you for your interest in the Cosmetology Program at Golden West College. We look forward to meeting you and seeing you in our program. Should you have any further questions, please e-mail email@example.com.