Assessment Center

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Admissions Requirements & Procedures

Golden West College admits international students for the Fall and Spring semesters, and Summer session. The Fall semester begins in late-August and the Spring semester begins in late-January. Summer term begins in early June.

Applicants for admission to Golden West College must be high school graduates, be pursuing the final semester of high school, or equivalent or be 18 years of age or older. Students under age 18 require legal guardianship.

Please note that students are required to purchase the GWC-approved medical insurance when registering for classes. Policy information will be provided at the time of registration. Private insurance is not accepted.

To ensure course availability, all admissions materials must be submitted by:

(Note: if you are applying from outside the U.S. you should submit your application 30 days earlier to allow for possible lengthy visa processing.)

International Student Application Form & Photo

The International Student Application Form must be completed and returned with a $30.00 application fee ( U.S. currency, money order, check, VISA or Mastercard are acceptable forms of payment by mail) and 2 passport-size photographs.

Affidavit of Support

An Affidavit of Support must be completed and signed by the student and his/her sponsor/s (self, parent, relative, or significant other) to present evidence that the student has sufficient financial resources to meet all expenses during his/her period of attendance at GWC. Please refer to the enclosed Estimated Expenses for minimum annual sponsorship requirement.

English Proficiency

International students must have sufficient knowledge of English to benefit from instruction at the college level. Therefore, all applicants from a non English-speaking country must take either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and score a minimum of 500 (173 computer-based or 61 Internet-based), OR demonstrate equivalency with prior English course work OR obtain a passing score on the GWC placement test (this option available to students applying from within the U.S.). A copy of your most recent TOEFL score (no older than 2 years) should be forwarded to GWC. (Institutional Code #004339)

The program also accepts the Pre-First grade level on the STEP Test and a minimum 5.5 on the IELTS.

IELTS - English for International Opportunity

IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. It measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking – for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication. IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations.

The TOEFL® Test - Test of English as a Foreign Language™

Language School Agreements

Golden West College has cooperative agreements with many area intensive English language schools. Such schools assist international students in bringing their English language skills to the appropriate proficiency level for GWC admission. Completion of an area Intensive Language Program may allow you to waive the TOEFL. All transcripts must be submitted for consideration.


Arrangements should be made to have complete, official transcripts of all high school, college, and ESL work sent directly to the International Student Program. Transcripts must be officially translated into English. Sealed transcripts can be mailed by the student or sent by the institution. All prior academic history must be provided (From home country and the United States).

School Transfers within the United States

Students transferring from another U.S. college or high school must also send a Transfer Eligibility form and copies of I-94, I-20, visa and passport pages. If you are supporting a spouse or child in the U.S. , please provide copies of their travel documents as well.