Assessment Center

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Photo of International Students at Golden West College

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the next step after I have been admitted?

Once you have been admitted, the International Student Program will issue you an I-20 Form along with an acceptance letter which provides instructions about the use of the I-20.

How can I get my student Visa?

The student visa (F-1) application process must be completed through the U.S. Embassy/Consulate located in your country. Before you apply, contact the Consulate to verify the requirements for processing your student visa. Usually the requirements for a student visa are the following:

Note: Other documents such as prior U.S. transcripts and I-20s may be requested.

When do classes begin and how long do they last?

GWC operates year-round. Full-semester courses are usually 16 weeks long, with Fall semesters beginning in late-August and Spring semesters in late-January. Summer classes are offered in sessions lasting from 4 to 8 weeks. There are also short-term courses that begin at different times within the year.

Once I arrive in Huntington Beach, what do I need to do?

Report to the International Student Program to complete the processing of your documents and for assistance in scheduling appointments on campus.

What is the assessment test and why do I have to take it?

Prior to enrollment, assessment in English, Mathematics, reading and study skills is required for all new students. Non-native English speakers should take the ESL (English As A Second Language) placement test. The results of these tests are used by counselors to assist students in making appropriate course selection.