S.O.A.R. for High School Seniors
What is S.O.A.R.?
SOAR is an early enrollment/priority registration process for high school seniors. Golden West College gives SOAR students the BEST Priority Registration dates for Fall semester – even before continuing students. You have the opportunity to get the best start possible and your first-choice class schedule through SOAR.
SOAR Enrollment Steps
You will need to complete the entire SOAR process to be considered a SOAR student.
- STEP 1 - APPLY: Online (see instructions below)
- STEP 2 - TEST: Take placement tests for Math and English to determine your starting level. Take placement tests seriously and come ready to do you best! Remedial courses (courses below college-level)do not count towards your degree. Download sample tests and study!
- STEP 3- ORIENTATION: Complete an online orientation to become familiar with GWC’s programs, services, and processes.
- STEP 4- PLAN: Attend a SOAR planning workshop at the GWC campus to develop your Student Educational Plan (SEP). You will receive a letter in the mail from the Counseling Office with an assigned date.
- STEP 5- REGISTER: Be sure to register at your assigned time to take advantage of your priority registration.
How do I sign up for S.O.A.R. Testing?
S.O.A.R. Testing at your High School
Which high schools participate in S.O.A.R., and when do they test?
Please check the 2014 S.O.A.R. High School Testing Schedule for participating high schools and testing dates. Contact your high school counselor or go to your Career Center to sign-up.
What if I miss SOAR testing at my high school?
If your campus has already been tested, you can take the placement tests at the GWC Assessment Center. (see S.O.A.R. Testing at GWC).
You will be asked for your student ID when you call to schedule a testing appointment so make sure you have applied to GWC and received the information from the Admissions Office before calling the assessment center.
How do I apply to GWC as a SOAR student?
Concurrently enrolled High School students who may have previously applied to Golden West College for the spring 2014 semester must reapply as a first time student in college for Summer/Fall 2014. Please follow the instructions below for the online application:
- Apply online at CCC Apply.
- After reading the information on the welcome page, scroll to the bottom and click on “Begin Application for Golden West College”
- New Users to the online application will need to create a new account. Those students who may have previously applied online to the Coast Community College District (OCC, Coastline or GWC) will log on using their previously established account information.
- After logging in, select “Summer/Fall 2014” as the term you are applying for.
- On the Education screen, select “first time student in college”
- On the online application, students must indicate their education level as “Received high school diploma from a U.S. school.”
- Check ‘yes’ for ‘Participating in Early Assessment Program’ and use program code SOAR 14.
- Students must also indicate their High School completion date is before the start of the fall semester.
Online applications may take 5-7 business days to process, at which point you will be emailed your student ID number, a username and password to log in to the student portal.
Some Internet Service Providers filter mail from the Coast Community College District so please check your trash/spam folder if you don't receive an email response within 5 business days of submitting your application. You can avoid this by adding GWCAdmissions@cccd.edu and GWCAdmissions@gwc.cccd.edu to your Friendly Approved Senders list. This is especially important if you use providers such as AOL, Yahoo, Earthlink, MSN, Gmail, Hotmail, or Roadrunner and/or you use spam filters.