Veterans Services at Golden West College
Veterans Services


Getting Started

Admissions Checklist
- Military Records Needed

Education Benefits

- VA Benefit Chapters




Student Veteran Org.

Veterans Resource Center

Adele Dick, Veterans Certifying Official

Enrollment Center
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and
Friday 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Admissions Process

1. Apply for Admission online

2. Order Transcripts

4. Select your G.I. Bill Educational Benefits Chapter

3. Visit the Staff at Veteran's Services to recieve a priority registration date.

Veterans Services is located in the Admissions & Records building. The staff is also there to help answer questions about your options for educational benefits.

In accordance with SB272, Golden West College will offer priority registration to veterans discharged from active duty within two years of admission to the college.

***Beginning Spring 2011, veteran’s priority registration will be granted for two years, beginning the first term of enrollment within the Coast Community College District (OCC, GWC, CCC). Once your veteran’s priority registration exhausts, registration status will be determined by units completed.

In order to receive priority registration, students must present their DD214 Form or a Military ID to the Admissions Office. Veterans who cannot locate their DD-214 may order a new copy. click here.

You will receive a letter of acceptance via e-mail and U.S. mail. This letter will include information about your MyGWC account, student e-mail address, registration appointment time, and instructions to login to MyGWC.

5. Take Assessment Tests

Make an appointment with the Assessment Center to test your English and mathematics abilities. Sign up online or call 714-895-8388.

If you have successfully completed math and English (with a "C" or better) at another accredited college, you may not need to take the placement tests - your transcripts may be used for course placement in English and math classes and to meet matriculation requirements.

6. Meet with a GWC Counselor

Schedule an appointment with a counselor to formulate an education plan. An education plan is required by the VA. Call the Counseling Center at 714-895-8119 ext. 1. Make sure to identify yourself as a veteran when making your appoinment.

7. Register and Pay for Classes

Login to your MyGWC account with the username and password provided to you and register for your classes. Instructions for using the online registration system is available at our GWC helpdesk.

Pay all fees at the time of registration, even if you anticipate receiving financial aid.  Financial aid may not cover all fees and charges. Failure to pay all fees may result in being dropped from classes for non-payment. When financial aid is posted to your MyGWC account, you will be reimbursed.

NOTE: Students who are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill will not be required to pay fees at the time of registration after they have completed an Enrollment Deferral Form in person at Veterans Services located in Enrollment Center.

*****Enrollment Deferral Forms MUST be completed BEFORE the start of EACH SEMISTER.

7. Initiate your VA Educational Benefits

Come in to the college Admissions Office to initiate your VA education benefits.
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 9 a.m.–6 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.–12 p.m.
(Office is closed from 1 - 2 p.m. daily)
Veterans Certifying Official: Lisa Putzel 714- 895-8140
Visit your Veterans Affairs Advisor EACH semester to request class certification in order to continue receiving VA benefits. Statement of responsibility is due each term.