join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

For Rent Textbooks - Save 50% or More on Textbooks

Search jobs posted at our school!

Apple Store for Education

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Don't lose your place in line

New Information about Registration Priority

Due to recent legislative changes, registration priority is changing.  Effective Fall 2014, in order to be eligible for priority registration, students must meet ALL the following requirements prior to June 1, 2014: 

  1. Completed placement testing and orientation (or equivalent).

  2. Have a counselor-approved Student Education Plan (SEP) on file with a specified Course of Study that leads to an Associate Degree (AA, AS, or AA-T or AS-T), transfer, State-approved Certificate of Achievement, or career advancement.

  3. Be in good academic standing and/or progress standing.

  4. Have not earned more than 100 degree-applicable units within the Coast Community College District (Coastline Community College, Golden West College, and Orange Coast College).

Questions & Answers 

As a continuing student, will these new rules change my priority registration appointment?
Yes, effective Fall 2014, you may lose your priority registration if you haven't met the requirements listed above. 

How can I check to make sure that I'm eligible for priority registration?
Log in to your MyGWC account to check your registration priority status (located on the Student Tab under "Priority Registration"--click on "View My Eligibility").     

screen shot of mygwc student tab

Your Priority Registration Eligibility screen in MyGWC will not only provide your status, it will also provide instructions on how to meet all the necessary requirements to gain eligibility.  It is recommended that you check this screen on a periodic basis since your status may change once grades are posted and academic standings are calculated.

How can I check to make sure that I'm in good academic and progress standing?
Log in to your DegreeWorks account via your MyGWC account.  Check your "status" (located under your Overall GPA on your Program Audit).  Make sure it says, "Good Standing" under BOTH "Academic" and "Progress".  If not, you may be in jeopardy of losing your priority registration. 

If you feel you have demonstrated significant academic and/or progress improvement, you may submit a Petition to Reinstate Priority Registration form to the GWC Admissions & Records Office.  NOTE: Your financial aid academic standing, also known as Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) has different criteria than your college academic standing and college progress standing. 

What if I have completed 100 or more degree applicable units within the Coast Community College District?
Check your unofficial transcript on your MyGWC portal.  If you've completed 100 or more degree applicable units within the Coast District, you will no longer be eligible for priority registration.  However, as a continuing student, you will still receive an appointment to register after the priority registration period.  If you are pursuing a high unit degree program, you may appeal for reinstatement of priority registration by completing and submitting the Petition to Reinstate Priority Registration to the Admissions & Records Office.

How can I check to make sure that I have an approved Student Education Plan (SEP) on file in the Coast District?
Log in to your DegreeWorks account (via MyGWC) and check to see if you have a locked Student Education Plan (SEP). As long as you have a locked SEP at one of the Coast Colleges (Coastline, Golden West, or Orange Coast), you meet the SEP requirement for priority registration. If you don't have a locked SEP, you need to make sure that you get one prior to June 1, 2014 to be eligible for Fall 2014 priority registration.

If I don't have an approved (locked) SEP in DegreeWorks, how can I get one? There are several ways to get an approved SEP in DegreeWorks:

  1. Schedule an appointment with a counselor. Appointments are scheduled one week in advance.  Call (714) 895-8119 to schedule an appointment.
  2. Register for any of the following Counseling classes in Spring 2014: 
    COUN G100, COUN G103, COUN G104
  3. Attend a Counseling (Planning) Workshop. You must sign up in advance:

Space is limited! Call 714-895-8119,
or stop by the Counseling Center to sign up.