Appointment Phone Number: 714-895-8799

Counseling Office Hours

Monday through

Counseling Office Location:
Administration Building, adjacent to Admissions and Records [Campus Map]

Frequently Asked Questions
Follow us on Facebook
New Student Orientation
Career Center
Transfer Center
Financial Aid
Counselor Breakfast Info
Teacher Education [PDF]

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

For Rent Textbooks - Save 50% or More on Textbooks

Search jobs posted at our school!

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Welcome to the GWC Counseling Department!

The Counseling Department is dedicated to assisting students to achieve success in their academic, career, and life goals in an inclusive environment that embraces the diversity of our students and community. Our professionally trained counselors are available to assist you with clarifying career and educational goals, educational planning and course selection, university transfer, and personal counseling. 

Don't Lose Your Place In The Registration Line!

Sign up for a DEGREE Works Workshop and get an SEP on file.

How can I check to make sure that I have an approved Student Education Plan (SEP) on file in the Coast District?
Log in to your DegreeWorks account (via MyGWC) and check to see if you have a locked Student Education Plan (SEP). As long as you have a locked SEP at one of the Coast Colleges (Coastline, Golden West, or Orange Coast), you meet the SEP requirement for priority registration. If you don't have a locked SEP, you need to make sure that you get one prior to June 1, 2014 to be eligible for Fall 2014 priority registration.

If I don't have an approved (locked) SEP in DegreeWorks, how can I get one? There are several ways to get an approved SEP in DegreeWorks:

  1. Schedule an appointment with a counselor. Appointments are scheduled one week in advance.  Call (714) 895-8119 to schedule an appointment.
  2. Register for any of the following Counseling classes in Spring 2014: 
    COUN G100, COUN G103, COUN G104
  3. Attend a Counseling (Planning) Workshop. You must sign up in advance:

Space is limited! Call 714-895-8119, 
or stop by the Counseling Center to sign up.




Ecounseling is designed to address general questions, similar to walk-in counseling. Ecounseling does not take the place of seeing a counselor in person. Many issues are too complex to be answered through email and are more effectively addressed during a counseling appointment. Counselors cannot access your student records or answer any questions that require them to view your transcripts.

DegreeWorks Program Planning Workshops:


On-line counseling is not appropriate for:

Counseling Appointments:

You must be currently taking classes at GWC in order to make an appointment. Student educational plans require a one hour appointment. If you have transcripts from other colleges that are not already on file in the records department, bring a copy to your appointment. If you have a financial aid appeal, bring the form from the financial aid office and inform your counselor at the beginning of the meeting. We schedule appointments every Friday. Please call 714-895-8799 or come by the Counseling Office to schedule your appointment.

If you are not a currently enrolled student, you will need to see a counselor during walk-in our drop-in hours. Please call the Counseling Office for availability of walk-in and drop-in hours each day. These times are very limited. 

Walk-in Counseling:

Walk-in counseling is designed for brief questions.  Students are served on a first-come, first-served basis. Walk-in is limited to 5 minutes and is appropriate for general questions only. Walk-in is not appropriate for transcript evaluation or Student Education Plans.

Express Counseling:

If you are a continuing or former GWC student or not currently enrolled at GWC and need a counselor to view your transcripts, you can meet with a counselor for a maximum of 30 minutes during our express hours. We are not able to access your records during express, so you will need to print out and bring your unofficial transcripts from GWC and any other colleges you have attended. Students may update their Program of Study and obtain an abbreviated SEP during express.